Have you ever wondered whether you can recover for injuries caused by exposure to toxic mold? The answer is yes. Toxic Mold Syndrome (TMS) is the term used to define illnesses that arise from exposure to spores of certain molds. These specific molds produce a poison called a mycotoxin which can cause serious health problems. The spores are released into the air and can be inhaled. Symptoms of mycotoxin exposure can include skin rashes, fever, nose and throat irritation, dizziness, lung congestion and shortness of breath, nausea, fever with accompanying aches and burning or watery eyes. People who already suffer from weakened immune systems may be more vulnerable than others to these harmful effects. Anyone with allergies or chronic respiratory disease may experience more pronounced symptoms from exposure to these molds. Children and the elderly are particularly at risk.
The conditions that allow mold to grow and thrive are well-known and are often caused by construction defects, faulty materials, poor architectural design or a previous owner’s failure to disclose known problems. If it’s a rental, the property owner or management company may be held liable if it is determined they knew or should have known about the problem.
The most common theories of liability for toxic mold injuries include negligence, breach of warranty and failure to disclose. Damages often include pain and suffering, emotional distress, medical costs, related losses (such as time off work to recover from injury and damage to personal property), and the cost of cleanup, structural restoration or relocation.
If you would like to recover for injuries sustained as a result of exposure to toxic mold, please contact us. We would be happy to review and evaluate your case.